Physical Education and Athletics
The Department of Physical Education and Athletics provides physical education and ship’s medicine classes that are an integral part of the Academy’s core curriculum training.
Physical Education Mission
Provide all Midshipmen realistic training experience in a mentally and physically challenging environment. Prepare and motivate Midshipmen for a lifetime of service through physical education, fitness training, and testing.
- Develop the physical potential in each Midshipman through the knowledge and proficiency of physical fitness
- Expose Midshipmen to a variety of physical skills and encourage Midshipmen to participate in vigorous fitness activities throughout their lifetime.
- Develop Midshipman leadership characteristics that foster teamwork, discipline, perseverance, self-confidence, emotional control, physical courage, reliability, loyalty, and an ability to overcome adversity.
- Provide Midshipmen with a physical education program that supports graduation and STCW requirements for every major
- Provide Midshipmen a program to assist them in meeting and maintaining the physical requirements set for by the U.S. Navy.
Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW)
To assist USMMA in educating and graduating licensed merchant mariners, the department provides required STCW classes. Every Midshipman acquires STCW certification in swimming, lifesaving, first aid and ship’s medicine. Plebes learn self-defense techniques and the basics of emergency health care, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). An advanced ship's medicine course is offered in upper class years, focusing on medical treatments which have proven effective at sea where comprehensive medical care may be not available.
Proper physical conditioning positively affects the personal growth and development of midshipmen. Teamwork, self-confidence and initiative are emphasized. The skills learned in classes improve physical fitness and can be enjoyed after graduation in recreational and competitive endeavors. Additional life-time activity experiences are offered through the Physical Education Activities courses.
Physical Fitness Assessment
The Navy Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) is a tool to measure the general fitness of the Regiment of Midshipmen and every Midshipman must pass the PFA in order to graduate. Midshipmen are required to take the PFA every trimester while aboard campus.
|Men’s Soccer||Women's Basketball||Men's Lacrosse|
|Men's Cross Country||Wrestling||Women's Lacrosse|
|Women's Cross Country||Men's Swimming and Diving||Men'sTennis|
|Women's Volleyball||Women's Swimming and Diving||Men's Outdoor Track and Field|
|Men's Indoor Track and Field||Women's Outdoor Track and Field|
|Women's Indoor Track and Field|