Directions to Kings Point
The United States Merchant Marine Academy is located on Long Island in Kings Point, New York. Nestled in the heart of Long Island's historic "Gold Coast" and commanding a spectacular view of the New York City skyline across Long Island Sound, the Academy is easily accessible by road and via public transportation. The two major New York City airports are within fifteen (15) miles of the Academy.
Whenever possible, you should plan to arrive via New York's LaGuardia or John F. Kennedy (JFK) airports or MacArthur Airport on Long Island.
Once you have landed, you may contact:
- Ollie's Airport Service (718) 229-5454
- Friendly Taxi Service (516) 487-8000
- Great Neck Taxi (516) 482-0077
- Town and Country Taxi (516) 466-0010
These services are cost effective ground transportation.
From Penn Station
- From Pennsylvania Station (34th Street at 7th Avenue, New York City), take the Port Washington branch of the Long Island Rail Road to the Great Neck Station (about 35 minutes).
- Get off at the Great Neck Station.
- The "N58" Long Island Bus Service bus usually departs shortly after the train arrives, bound for the Academy (current fare is $2.75; exact change is required). The "N58" may be boarded from a location on the North side of the Station (you must take the pedestrian bridge over the tracks and cross the driveway adjacent to the ticketing/waiting area).
- Taxis are also available, if you prefer to travel by cab.
From JFK and LaGuardia
- Persons wanting to travel by rail from JFK can use AirTrain. This can be used to connect to the Long Island Rail Road by taking the AirTrain to Jamaica station and transferring at Woodside station.
- For subway and bus service from LaGuardia, the MTA has additional service. For those utilizing the MacArthur Airport, there is the MacArthur Airport Package, offered through the MTA.
From Points South and West:
- Either I-95 (the New Jersey Turnpike) North or I-80 East to the George Washington Bridge. Continue straight and follow signs for the Cross Bronx Expressway (DO NOT exit in Manhattan). Take the Cross Bronx Expressway, and follow signs to either the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge or the Throgs Neck Bridge. Take either Bridge. (See bridge directions "3" or "4" below.)
From New England and Points North:
- I-95 (the New England Thruway) South to Exit 7A in New York (bearing left to I-695) to the Throgs Neck Bridge. (See bridge directions "3" below.)
From the Throgs Neck Bridge:
- Bear right while crossing the bridge, and take the exit on the right for the Cross Island Parkway. Take the Cross Island Parkway to Exit 31E (Northern Boulevard, Route 25A). (See directions "6" below.)
From the Bronx Whitestone Bridge:
- Bear left while crossing the bridge, and take the exit on the left at the end of the bridge onto the Cross Island Parkway. Take the Cross Island Parkway to Exit 31E (Northern Boulevard, Route 25A). (See directions "6" below.)
- Take 34th Street East (towards Second Avenue) to the Queens Midtown Tunnel. Upon exiting the Tunnel and paying the toll, proceed straight ahead onto the Long Island Expressway (I-495 East). Take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 32 (Little Neck Parkway). Make a left (heading North) onto Little Neck Parkway for approximately 3/4- mile, to Northern Boulevard. Turn right onto Northern Boulevard, Route 25A.
From Northern Boulevard, Route 25A:
- Proceed East (1.4 miles from the Cross Island Parkway; .3 mile from Little Neck Parkway) through the village of Little Neck and several traffic lights to the intersection with Great Neck Road. There is a four-story, brown office building on the left, and two (2) left turn lanes at this intersection. You should be in one of the two left turn lanes. Proceed left (North) on Great Neck Road, and continue straight (always bearing left, even when the roads fork off to the right). Continue North, as the road changes names to Bayview Avenue and then to West Shore Road (the distance you will travel on this road is about 2.5 miles). At end of West Shore Road (a STOP Sign), turn right onto Kings Point Road. Proceed to the next stop sign and make a left onto Steamboat Road. The Academy entrance/main gate is one block ahead.