KINGS POINT, N.Y., September 9, 2016 – Today, President Barack Obama, proclaimed Friday, September 9 through Sunday, September 11, 2016, as National Days of Prayer and Remembrance. He asked that the people of the United States "honor and remember the victims of September 11, 2001, and their loved ones through prayer, contemplation, memorial services, the visiting of memorials, the ringing of bells, evening candlelight remembrance vigils, and other appropriate ceremonies and activities."
The United States Merchant Marine Academy invites members of the public to join the Academy community as we remember the victims and heroes of September 11th, 2001.
The full schedule follows:
Eight Bells are struck aboard Merchant Vessels to signify the end of a 4-hour watch. Each bell represents a half hour. Throughout the day on Monday September 12th, 2016 members of the Regiment will ring eight bells in front of Wiley Hall. The ringing of the bells will coincide with the timeline of September 11th, 2001.
- 0846 - AA Flight 11 crashes into North Tower of One World Trade Center, NYC
- 0903 - UA Flight 175 crashes into South Tower of One World Trade Center, NYC
- 0937 - AA Flight 77 crashes into the Western Facade of the Pentagon, DC
- 0959 - South Tower of the World Trade Center collapses
- 1007 - UA Flight 93 crashes in Somerset County Pennsylvania
- 1028 - North Tower of the World Trade Center collapses
- 1120 - Regimental Band Band Sounds Cadence
- 1125 - Companies will form on Powell Oval in front of Wiley Hall
- 1130 - Invocation by Command Chaplain, LCDR Jerry Durham
- 1132 - Speaker
- 1145 - Song by MIDN Rebecca Snyder, 2/c
- 1150 - Regimental Commander, Stacee Glass, 1/c
- Regiment of Midshipmen to Attention
- MOMENT OF SILENCE
- "Hand Salute"
- 21 Gun Salute
- Taps/Eternal Father
- 1200 - Benediction
- 1202 - Conclusion